An on-site plaque commemorating the former Keepers of the Port Clinton Lighthouse and the preservation work of the Jeremy and Brand families will be installed in the near future.
Significant improvements in the area have included grading of the southern Derby Pond to Perry Street area to minimize flooding and puddle water; installation and partial paving (explanation below) of an eight-foot-wide crushed stone path around Derby Pond, connecting to all parking lots, the Lighthouse, the Boathouse, and the 1812 Memorial; and seeding and landscaping of the Lighthouse area. This has all been made possible by members’ contributions.
Please note: The small portion of the pathway that remains unpaved is under the authority of the Black Swamp Conservancy and must meet higher ecological standards. We’re working with Black Swamp to meet those standards and still accommodate wheelchairs, strollers, cyclists and others who need smooth pavement to enjoy the pond area.
- The pathway has seven concrete pads on which will be placed commemorative benches in the spring. Two additional benches will be installed in the area and if you would be interested in sponsoring one of them, please contact us here at www.portclintonlighthouse.org.
- Please note: The Port Clinton Lighthouse is in a city park that has plenty of nearby parking, and a visit to the area is always welcome. It is easy to maintain proper distance and to be safe. We had planned to open the Lighthouse for visitors in the afternoons on Memorial Day and each Saturday afternoon until Labor Day. Unfortunately, we were unable to responsibly offer tours, but are hopeful that will change for the next tourist season. Please watch this spot for updates and feel free to send us a message through this website.
- Virtual Tour: Because we have been Covided, we’re offering a virtual tour of the Lighthouse! Please click on the Video section above to enjoy it.
- Click on SHOP at the top of the page and get ready for shopping! The store will be located in the Boathouse (see below) and information regarding hours is forthcoming. A wide variety of items is available online from which to choose Christmas gifts–or a little something for yourself! When they reopen, Lilly and Gert’s, on 2nd St., and Unique, on Madison St., in downtown Port Clinton, will once again have some PCLC items for sale at this. All proceeds from your purchases support the PC Lighthouse Conservancy and its place within our historic community on the Lake Erie waterfront. Please call or send a message with any questions or suggestions.
- Please continue to check here for information regarding the Lighthouse area development and hours. Meanwhile, as you drive past the Lighthouse, look to its light as a true beacon of hope for all of us, as we work toward the time when life is again moving forward.
- For those traveling to Port Clinton and wishing to visit the Lighthouse, enter Port Clinton Lighthouse (or 421 E. Perry St.) into your GPS or digital map.
- WANT TO BE A KEEPER OF THE PORT CLINTON LIGHTHOUSE? Click here for a membership form. Why not join the Keepers of the Port Clinton Lighthouse and get periodic updates, early notice of openings, special deals, and, most importantly, tangibly demonstrate your support? Become a Keeper of the Port Clinton Lighthouse! Your friends and neighbors have! Click here to see a current list of Keepers.
- If you are visiting Port Clinton and want your Lighthouse Passport stamped, the Port Clinton Chamber of Commerce, located on Madison St., will be able to stamp it for you Monday through Friday. In addition, Lilly & Gert’s, located on 2nd St. across from the Post Office, will have a stamp available when they’re open. If you are an ardent Lighthouse Passport owner with compulsive desires for collection, you can always send us a request for a lighthouse stamp by including a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Join us as a Port Clinton Lighthouse Keeper this year!
Next month, we’ll be notifying Keepers of the 2021 campaign to renew/upgrade their memberships. If you are not yet a Keeper and would like to be, please contact us, as noted above, for a membership application.