to the Port Clinton Lighthouse!
Now that we’ve turned the corner into the summer of 2021, we want to let you know how ready we are to welcome you all back to our Lighthouse! We’re open for public tours on Saturdays now, from noon until 5:00 p.m., through September 4. The admission fee for each adult and child over 10 years of age is $3.00. Children 10 and younger (42″ height requirement) are admitted free. If you’re a Keeper, just contact the Conservancy at any time to schedule a tour for family and friends, free of cost, of course.
The pathway around Derby Pond is now mostly paved, accessible to joggers, walkers, cyclists, baby carriages, wheelchairs, strollers and the like. The town and the ODNR are still working to find a contractor to pave the unfinished length of path so that it meets ecological standards. It’ll get done, as has everything else in this wonderful lakeside setting, in good time.
The benches, which have been sponsored by Keepers in memory of loved ones, are awaiting your arrival so that you can enjoy the lake view and people-watching. The landscaping is almost completed, and is beautiful, in keeping with its natural lakefront surroundings.
The Friends of Port Clinton City Parks, the City of Port Clinton and the Port Clinton Lighthouse Conservancy together have worked diligently to build a much-needed restroom facility, planned to be compatible with the designs of the Lighthouse and the Boathouse. Tentatively, it is to be located about forty feet west of the Boathouse ramp. All utilities will be provided by the City of Port Clinton, and the facility is slated to open in the spring of 2022.
All of the improvements to the Lighthouse area have been made possible by members’ contributions, with incredible cooperation among the city and local and not-so-local groups. Those of you who come to visit us each year, now also able to enjoy a beautiful strip of beach along the shoreline, provide us with additional resources and incentive to continue to improve. We thank all of you for your ongoing support. We hope to continue to meet and, hopefully, exceed your expectations. Let us know, when you have a minute!
- Virtual Tour: We’re offering a virtual tour of the Lighthouse! Please click on the Video section above to enjoy it.
Have any of you tried out the model lighthouse plans included above? Please let us know, possibly with photos, how your model-building goes. It looks like a good, positive challenge for a range of ages, courtesy of a friend of the lighthouse, Marie Blunt. Give it a try!
- Click on SHOP at the top of the page to do your Lighthouse shopping! The store is located in the Boathouse (see below) and is open every Saturday and Sunday from noon until 5:00 p.m. Clair Jeremy, whose grandfather was responsible for saving the Lighthouse in 1952 (it could have been set afire!), is manning the shop. He’ll answer your questions and may share a story or two with you!
- A wide variety of items also is available online. Lilly and Gert’s, on 2nd St., and Unique, on Madison St., in downtown Port Clinton, both have Lighthouse items for sale. All proceeds from your purchases support the Port Clinton Lighthouse Conservancy and its place within our historic community on the Lake Erie waterfront. Please call or send a message with any questions or suggestions.
- Please continue to check here for information regarding the Lighthouse area development and hours.
- For those traveling to Port Clinton and wishing to visit the Lighthouse, enter Port Clinton Lighthouse (or 421 E. Perry St.) into your GPS or digital map.
- WANT TO BE A KEEPER OF THE PORT CLINTON LIGHTHOUSE? Click here for a membership form. Why not join the Keepers of the Port Clinton Lighthouse and get periodic updates, early notice of openings, special deals, and, most importantly, tangibly demonstrate your support? Become a Keeper of the Port Clinton Lighthouse!
- Click here to see a current list of Keepers.
- If you are visiting Port Clinton and want your Lighthouse Passport stamped, the Port Clinton Chamber of Commerce (call for hours at 419-734-5503), located on Madison St., will be able to stamp it for you Monday through Friday. In addition, Lilly & Gert’s, located on 2nd St. across from the Post Office, will have a stamp available during their shop hours. If you’re an ardent Lighthouse Passport owner with compulsive desires for collection, you can always send us a request for a lighthouse stamp by including a self-addressed stamped envelope.
It’s never too late to contact us, as noted above, for a membership application.
We hope to see you out on our pathways soon, enjoying the weather and all that the Port Clinton Lighthouse area affords us!